I act for clients in Toronto and across Ontario in various family matters, with an emphasis on preventative law and resolving emotional disputes. I believe in access to legal services for all, and am a member of the Family and Domestic Violence panels at Legal Aid Ontario.
I have a particular interest in providing counsel to artists and lower-income parties, and work to ensure that these groups have access to a family lawyer for life events that require legal representation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
I hold a degree in Sociology from McGill University, and received my LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2008. I was called to the Ontario Bar in 2009.
I also hold a Certificate in Alternative Dispute Resolution from the Dispute Resolution Clinic at the University of Western Ontario and a Diploma in Recorded Music Production from Trebas Institute.
Previous careers include eight years as a researcher and interviewer at one of Canada’s premier research and strategic planning firms; clients there included legal institutions, universities, provincial and federal government (notably health, financial, arts and education), arts organizations and major Canadian corporations.
I also spent two decades as a jazz vocalist and composer. During that time, I headlined major international jazz festivals, worked as a studio vocalist, clinician agent and tour manager, composed my own music and film theme songs for major studio productions and independent releases, and negotiated distribution and licensing agreements.
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND LECTURES
- “The Fundamentals of Family Law,” “Canadian Legal History”, lectures at Multilingual Community Interpreter Services and the South Asian Women’s Centre.
- “When Sorry is Not Enough,” co-author, Horse Sport Magazine, March 2009.
- “Best Practices during a Credit Crunch,” author, National Credit News, March 2009.
- “Opposing a Discharge from Bankruptcy on the Basis of Debtor Fraud,” co-author, National Credit News, November 2008.
- “Structuring your Horse Business,” lecture at The Jockey Club at Woodbine, November 2008.
PROFESSIONAL AND BUSINESS AFFILIATIONS
- The Law Society of Upper Canada
- Family Lawyers Association of Ontario - board member-at-large (2011-2013)
- Legal Aid Ontario - Family Law and Domestic Violence panels
- Ontario Bar Association